Interview About Saugatuck
Kid's Guide By Nicole
1. When and why did you move to Saugatuck?
She moved in 1967 to run the Commercial Record.
2. What did the town look like when you came here?
All the stores were for locals not tourists. There were hardware stores, barberies, fruit markets, and meat stores. Also in 1960 the Saugatuck and Douglas schools were combined.
3. What do you know about Saugatuck's history?
She found out a hundredth anniversary was coming and she wanted to find out everything she could to put out an issue in the paper about it. Her best source of info was the old timers.
4. What school did you attend and what was it like?
She went to school in Detroit but would have liked to attend the Old School in Douglas.
5. What was the Pavilion like?
She had never Click here to seen the Pavilion but she talked to so many people that knew it well she could tell you where everything was.
6. Could you please tell me about when the Keewatin came here?
It got to the mouth of the river at night, tied up at the foot of Mt. Baldhead and came up closer to shore in the morning. She went in a boat to get the ship and got a self guided tour.
7. How has transportation changed?
She said,"The Interurbans new and its good to have it but the Grayhound doesn't stop here anymore."
8. How did people make a living in the past?
More people who live part-time & don't work here feel more like visitors, full time residents mostly make a living off tourists.
9. What did the children do for fun?
They played a game called High Babaree, which is like hide and Click here to seek. Some kids would go to gullies and play in the stream.
10. Please tell me about Singapore.
Singapore had it's own bank that produced its own money. The book store, people think is the old Singapore bank. People started leaving Singapore and it was burried and was a ghost town.
11. Have any celebrities lived here?
Burr Wilson who was a puppeteer. Bozo the Clown and the lady that invented American Girl.
12. What is your favorite story about Saugatuck?
The Day the Elephant Died. 1951. She was named Rosy. She was owned by a man with not a circus but only 2 animals. The second one was a crocadile. He got shot after the elephant died.
Previous | Top
of Page | Index | Next